Child Health and Safety
- Approximately 700 cyclists are fatally injured in traffic collisions each year in the U.S.
- Approximately 15% of all bicyclist deaths occur to children age 15 or younger.
- Each year, nearly half a million children are treated for bicycle-related injuries in U.S. hospital emergency rooms or in other medical settings.
- One child in seven suffers a head injury in bicycle-related accidents.
- Head injuries cause over 60% of the injuries and deaths that occur in bicycle accidents.
- Ninety-one percent of bicyclists killed in 2008 were not wearing helmets.
- While bicycle helmets generally have been shown to reduce the risk of head injury by approximately 85%, only about 30% of all child cyclists use them.
- Many children and their parents are unaware of these statistics and the basic techniques for staying safe while riding a bike.